Finding ways to keep kids entertained during the holiday season can be a challenge, but crafting is always a great option. Not only is it a fun and engaging activity, but it can also help kids develop important skills like creativity, problem-solving, and fine motor abilities. In this article, I’ll share some of my favorite holiday crafts for kids to do, so you can keep your little ones busy while also making lasting memories.
One holiday craft that’s always popular with kids is making ornaments. Not only is it a fun activity, but it also allows kids to be creative and express themselves. There are plenty of ways to make ornaments, from using classic materials like paper and glue to incorporating more unique materials like fabric or even recycled materials.
Another fun holiday craft for kids is making cards or gift tags. This is a great way to get kids involved in the gift-giving process and teach them about the joy of giving. Kids can use a variety of materials to create their cards or tags, including paint, markers, stickers, and even glitter. These crafts can also be personalized with messages or quotes that are meaningful to your family.
Holiday Crafts for Kids to Do
The holiday season is the perfect time for kids to explore their creativity and make fun crafts to decorate the house or to give as gifts to family and friends. As a parent or caregiver, you may be looking for easy and enjoyable holiday crafts that your kids can make without too much fuss or mess.
Here are some ideas for easy and fun holiday crafts for kids that can be done with simple materials found around the house:
- Paper Snowflakes – This is a classic holiday craft that kids of all ages can enjoy. All you need is some white paper, scissors, and imagination. Fold the paper into a triangle and then cut out different shapes to make beautiful snowflake designs. Hang them up around the house for a festive touch.
- Handprint Wreath – For a personalized touch, help your child make a handprint wreath. Trace your child’s hand onto green construction paper and cut out several prints. Glue them onto a cardboard circle to form a wreath shape. Add some red bows or glitter for extra sparkle.
- Popsicle Stick Ornaments – Gather some popsicle sticks, glue, and decorations such as buttons, pom-poms, or glitter. Let your child arrange the sticks into different designs, such as a snowflake or a Christmas tree. Glue the decorations onto the sticks and attach a ribbon for hanging.
- Reindeer Treat Bags – Put together a fun and easy treat bag that resembles a reindeer. All you need are some brown paper bags, googly eyes, red pom-poms, and glue. Cut out some antlers from brown construction paper and glue them onto the bag. Add the eyes and nose, and fill the bag with goodies.
- Handmade Cards – Encourage your child to make their own holiday cards to give to friends and family. All you need is some paper, markers, and stickers. Let your child be creative and design their own unique cards with special messages.
Remember, the holidays are about spending time together and making memories. These easy and fun holiday crafts for kids to do are a great way to bond with your child while letting them explore their creativity. Happy crafting!
Supplies You’ll Need for These Kids Holiday Crafts
When planning your holiday crafting activities for kids, it’s important to have all the supplies you need on hand. Here are some essentials you will need to get started:
1. Construction Paper and Cardstock
Construction paper and cardstock are a must-have for holiday crafting, as they come in a variety of colors and shades. These versatile papers can be used for all kinds of crafts, from handmade cards and ornaments to 3D decorations.
A good pair of scissors is essential for cutting paper, ribbon, and other materials. Be sure to choose safety scissors for younger children to avoid accidents.
Whether you prefer liquid or stick, glue is a necessary component in most holiday crafts. It’s important to have a dependable glue that dries quickly and holds well.
4. Paint and Markers
Paint and markers are great for adding color and creative touches to holiday crafts. Washable paint and non-toxic markers are recommended for younger kids.
5. Pipe Cleaners and Pom Poms
Pipe cleaners and pom poms are a fun addition to any holiday craft. They can be used for creating fuzzy animals, decorating wreaths, and adding texture to ornaments.
6. Beads and Sequins
Beads and sequins are perfect for adding sparkle and shine to holiday crafts. They can be used for decorating ornaments, creating jewelry, or embellishing festive decorations.
7. Glitter and Sparkle
No holiday craft is complete without a little bit of glitter and sparkle! Use glitter glue or loose glitter to add some extra pizzazz to your creations.
Remember, the key to successful holiday crafting is to have fun and get creative. With these supplies, your kids will be able to create memorable holiday decorations and gifts that will be cherished for years to come.
Here are step-by-step instructions for some fun and easy holiday crafts for kids to do:
- Trace your child’s handprints on green construction paper and cut them out.
- Glue the handprints in a circular pattern to create a wreath shape.
- Add a bow or some ornaments with glitter glue or stickers.
- Hang your beautiful wreath on a door or wall for a festive decoration.
- Cut out a reindeer head shape from brown felt.
- Glue on googly eyes and a red pom-pom nose.
- Cut out antlers from brown pipe cleaners and glue them onto the back of the felt.
- Attach a loop of ribbon or string to the back of the reindeer’s head.
- Hang your cute ornament on a tree or give it as a gift.
- Fold a white paper square in half diagonally to make a triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half again to make a smaller triangle.
- Fold the triangle into thirds, making a smaller triangle each time.
- Cut off the top of the triangle and along the edges to make a snowflake shape.
- Repeat with more paper squares to make a garland of snowflakes.
- String the snowflakes on a piece of ribbon or string and hang them up to create a winter wonderland.
These holiday crafts for kids to do are perfect for keeping them entertained during the holiday season, and they also make great decorations or gifts for family and friends.