Hey there! Looking for a fun and creative craft to do with your little ones? Well, look no further because I’ve got just the thing for you – a step-by-step guide on how to catch a turkey craft! This exciting activity is not only a great way to keep your kids entertained, but it also allows them to explore their imagination and creativity. So, grab your crafting supplies and let’s dive right in!
Step 1: Cut Out The Turkey Body
To get started on our turkey craft, the first thing we need to do is cut out the turkey body. This will be the base of our craft. Here’s how you can do it:
- Take a piece of construction paper in your desired color for the body of the turkey. I usually go for brown or white, but feel free to get creative with different colors!
- Fold the construction paper in half, lengthwise. This will ensure that our turkey body is symmetrical.
- On the folded edge of the paper, draw the outline of a turkey body. It’s best to start with a simple shape, like an oval or a pear shape. You can also find printable templates online if you prefer.
- Once you’ve drawn the outline, use a pair of scissors to carefully cut along the drawn lines. Take your time and make sure to cut through both layers of the folded paper.
- Unfold the paper, and voila! You now have a turkey body ready to be decorated.
Step 2: Decorate The Turkey Body
Glue on The Googly Eyes
To give your turkey some personality, glue on a pair of googly eyes. These wiggly, animated eyes will bring your turkey to life. You can find googly eyes at any craft store or order them online.
Place a small dot of craft glue on the back of each googly eye and gently press them onto the turkey body. Make sure to position them towards the top of the body, near the center. This will give your turkey a friendly face.
Draw a Beak And Snood With a Marker
Next, let’s draw the beak and snood on our turkey. Take a marker in a color of your choice, and carefully draw a small triangle shape near the bottom of the turkey’s face. This will be the beak.
Right above the beak, draw a wiggly line downwards. This will be the snood, which is the fleshy part that hangs down from the turkey’s beak. Feel free to get creative and give your turkey a longer or shorter snood!
Step 3: Make The Turkey Head And Neck
Cut Out a Small Circle For The Head
To create the turkey’s head, start by cutting out a small circle from a different color construction paper. This can be any color of your choice, depending on the look you want to achieve for your turkey craft. Remember to maintain symmetry, as it adds to the overall aesthetic appeal of the craft.
Cut Out a Long Strip For The Neck
Next, cut out a long strip from another piece of construction paper to make the turkey’s neck. This strip should be about two inches wide and long enough to reach from the top of the turkey’s body to the desired length for the neck.
Glue The Head And Neck Together
Now it’s time to assemble the turkey’s head and neck. Apply a small amount of glue to one end of the strip you cut for the neck. Attach it to the back of the small circle you cut out for the head, making sure it is firmly in place. This will form the turkey’s neck, ready to be attached to its body.
Step 4: Attach The Turkey Head to The Body
Glue The Neck to The Back of The Turkey Body
To bring your turkey craft to life, it’s time to attach the turkey head to the body. This step adds a fun and playful element to your turkey craft. Follow these simple instructions to complete this step:
- Take the long strip you cut out earlier for the neck of the turkey.
- Apply a small amount of glue to one end of the strip. Be careful not to use too much glue, as it may cause the paper to become soggy.
- Position the glued end of the neck strip on the back of the turkey body, just below the round head.
- Press down gently to secure the strip in place.
- Hold the neck in place for a few seconds to allow the glue to adhere.
Creating a turkey craft with children is a fun and engaging activity that allows for creativity and imagination to soar. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can easily guide your children through the process of making their own unique turkey craft. So gather your materials, set aside some time, and enjoy the process of creating a turkey craft with your children. It’s a wonderful way to bond, foster creativity, and make lasting memories together. Happy crafting!