Crafting elytra is an essential skill for any Minecraft player looking to soar through the skies and explore new horizons. In this guide, I’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of crafting your very own elytra.
To start, you’ll need a few key ingredients: phantom membranes and a pair of diamond boots. Phantom membranes can be obtained by defeating phantoms that spawn at night in the Overworld. Make sure to have a weapon ready as these flying mobs can be quite formidable.
Once you’ve gathered enough phantom membranes, it’s time to combine them with the diamond boots. Head over to an anvil and place the diamond boots in the left slot and the phantom membranes in the right slot. After combining them, you will see your brand new elytra appear in the result slot.
How To Craft Elytra
Exploring The Elytra Crafting Recipe
To begin crafting elytra, you’ll first need to gather the necessary resources. The elytra is a special item in Minecraft that allows players to glide through the air, making it an essential tool for exploring vast landscapes or traveling long distances quickly.
The elytra can be crafted using several key ingredients:
- Phantom Membrane: This material is obtained by defeating phantoms, which spawn at night when players haven’t slept for a while. Each phantom drops 0-1 membrane upon defeat.
- Blaze Powder: Obtained by smelting blaze rods, which are dropped by blazes found in Nether Fortresses.
- Leather: Gathered from cows or horses through killing them or shearing their skin.
Finding The Rare Elytra Materials
Now that you know what materials are required for crafting elytra, it’s time to focus on finding them. Let’s start with phantom membranes. Phantoms only appear at night and will attack players who haven’t slept in a while. So if you’re looking to obtain phantom membranes, make sure to skip sleeping for several nights until they start appearing.
Blaze powder can be acquired by smelting blaze rods dropped by blazes found within Nether Fortresses. These fortresses are challenging structures located in the Nether dimension. They may take some time and effort to locate but rest assured that your efforts will be rewarded with valuable blaze rods.
Lastly, leather can be easily obtained from cows or horses found in the Overworld. Simply slay these animals or use shears on them if you prefer not to harm them directly.
Setting Up Your Crafting Station
With all the necessary materials in hand, it’s time to set up your crafting station! To craft elytra, follow these simple steps:
- Open your crafting table.
- Arrange the materials in the following pattern:
- Place phantom membranes in the top row.
- Put blaze powder in the middle-left and middle-right slots of the second row.
- Place leather in the bottom row.
Once you’ve placed all the materials correctly, a new slot will appear with your newly crafted elytra! Simply click and drag it into your inventory to equip it.
Defeating The Shulkers And Collecting Shulker Shells
To craft elytra, you’ll need to defeat shulkers and collect their shells. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Find an End City: Shulkers can only be found in End Cities, so your first task is to locate one. These cities are generated in the outer islands of the End dimension.
- Gear Up: Before heading to the End City, make sure you’re well-prepared. Equip yourself with armor, weapons, and plenty of food to sustain you during your journey.
- Enter the End Portal: Once you’ve geared up, enter the End portal and arrive in the End dimension. Be cautious as Endermen inhabit this realm.
- Locate an End Ship: Navigate through the outer islands until you find an End Ship within an End City structure. These ships contain valuable loot, including shulker shells.
- Beware of Shulkers: The main challenge lies in defeating the shulkers that guard these ships. These levitating mobs have a unique ability to teleport and shoot projectiles at you.
- Engage in Combat: Engage in combat with the shulkers using ranged attacks like bows or crossbows while dodging their projectiles by constantly moving around.
- Collect Shulker Shells: Once defeated, each shulker will drop 0-1 shulker shells upon death (with a looting enchantment increasing this chance). Collect as many shells as possible for crafting elytra.
- Return Home Safely: With your hard-earned shulker shells safely stored away, make your way back home by either using an Ender Pearl to teleport or traveling through your Nether portal if available.
Congratulations! You now have obtained enough shulker shells to craft your very own elytra. Combine the shulker shells with a diamond chestplate in an anvil to create this powerful flying item.